Thanks to all those who messaged me privately about the temporary pause in blogging! We are still alive and well!
We’ve been immersed in the Buchinger experience, and we’ve been taking advantage of the program! Even though we’re not allowed to use mobile phones outside our rooms, I had to use something to keep track of where to be! The image above is a screen shot of our schedule over the last three days! The program here runs from 6am to 8:30pm.
Buchinger uses a very holistic approach to fasting and well-being, which combine medicine and complementary therapies. Some highlights from the last three days include:
- abdominal sonogram – basically imaging my organs. While doctors can’t tell things like the quantitative fat composition of the liver (that would require MRI), they can detect chronic liver disease, which I don’t have! My results look “normal.”
- breathing physiotherapy – basically a Swiss massage to encourage breathing. As a lifelong allergy sufferer, I can tell you this really works! The problem is that the results are temporary! I felt great for a couple hours, and then with all the nature here, I was back to “normal!” 🤧
- group meditation – While not that different from what I’ve done in the past (I went to Spirit Rock a few years ago), there are always good reminders to take away from these types of activities when doing both sitting and walking meditation.
- personal training – I am at least starting to address the issues of my shoulders rolling forward. The trainer asked me right off the bat, “You use a computer a lot, don’t you?” Ouch.
- painting workshop – just a chance to explore creatively. Here’s an impressionist painting I did inspired by one of our hikes.
And, we’ve had a couple of really cool hikes! (You can click on the images to get more information about the sights!)
Future topics deserving of their own blog posts include:
- the importance of the relationship with your doctor
- valerian root as a sleep aid during fasting
- autogenic training
Results from morning nurse visits on Days 4-6
- Blood pressure: 143/89, 134/84, 113/81 – Coming down!
- Blood sugar: 145,134, 137 – Still needs work!
- Weight: 71.3kg (156.9lb) , 69.9kg (153.8), 69.5kg (152.9) – Already slowing down, as most of the water weight is now gone!